The last few days I have been totally out of rythm, bakery sandwiches for lunch and then more bread for dinner. So, I have 4 egg whites lying in the fridge from my home-made icecream and last night i bought cheese and bacon to make a quiche, which is cooking in the oven as we speak, but since my bicycle was stolen it means i have to leave for work earlier, so I’ll be brief!
Quiche: great way to use stuff up. Here is my recipe:
For the Crust
- 1 cup flour (and a bit more and i use a mug)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup iced or refrigerated water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
For the Filling
- 5 eggs (I wanted to use up 4 egg whites that I had left over from making icecream), so i only used 1 egg yolk
- 1 small yoghurt-sized pot of cream (again leftover from the icecream)
- half a packet of grated cheese (2 big handfuls)
- packet of bacon bits (i was lazy yesterday evening and bought pre-grated stuff)
- half a leek cut into rings
- leftover stub of carrot, grated
First thing to do is lightly fry up the bacon and leeks in a pan and leave aside to cool a bit.
Then get the crust ingredients mixed and rolled out (this is a very thin crust) and into the lightly greased and floured tin and then put it in the pre-heated oven (150deg C is fine for mine). It can cook a few minutes while the rest of the ingredients for the filling are being sorted. I don’t have a rolling pin, i used a clean, floured up wine bottle.
Then roughly beat the eggs, pour in the cream and the cheese. and grate in the carrot too. Mix it up and add some salt and pepper.
Then take out the quiche crust from the oven and pour this mixture on top. I garnished with a sliced tomato. Then it looked like the last picture here. Then just cook it for about 20-30 mins until a knife comes out clean. Eat with a simple salad!