Here are two more translated recipies (from German) that involve poppyseed. The mango one came from a book my old flatmate had and she also used to make a lemon version that was very good, so I looked up a simple recipe for it.
Mango Poppyseed buns/fairycakes/muffins
- 100ml milk
- 100g poppy seeds
- 1 mango (about 200g)
- 2 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 100g sugar
- 80ml oil
- 150g yoghurt
- 2 T orange marmalade.
- something to grease the muffin pan
- heat the milk and add in the poppy seeds and leave to steep.
- peel the mango and remove the fruit from the stone and cut into small cubes. mix the flour with the baking powder.
- preheat the oven to 180 or 160 for a fan oven, and grease the muffin pan and put into the fridge to cool.
- mix the egs with the sugar, oil and yoghurt and marmelade.. add mango pieces and poppy seeds. mix in the flour mixture.
- fill the muffin pan. put into the oven for 20-25min until golden brown. leave to cool for 5min and then remove and transfer to a rack. before serving “paint” with a bit of the jam.
Lemon Poppyseed Buns/Fairycakes/Muffins
- 125g soft butter
- 150g sugar
- a quarter of a teaspoon of lemon rind
- 2 eggs
- 250ml buttermilk
- 1 dessert spoon of lemon juice
- 375g flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 250g “Mohngeback” (prepared poppy-seed). In germany all of these things are available easily in the supermarket but I know at home that the prepared poppy seed for cooking is unheard of. So, there are a few ways to make it yourself:
- 125 g ground poppyseeds (whizz in a blender)
- 60 ml hot milk
- 25 g soft butter
- 50 g sugar (or to your liking)
- 1 egg to bind everything better
- Optional: a dash of rum, some rum-soaked raisins, finely chopped lemon or orange peel, vanilla pods or lemon rind.
Add the ground poppyseeds to boiling milk and then leave to steep for 15-20mins. Then mix in the other ingredients.
- Set the oven to 160 degrees celcius (fan assisted).
- If you’re using buncases, then you don’t need to do anything to grease them, but if you have a metal tray then grease them and if you have a silicon tray then rinse out with cold water.
- Add butter and sugar first and mix, then the eggs, then the buttermilk and lemonjuice. Then separately combine the flour and baking powder and add to the liquid mix.
- Then add the prepared poppyseeds and pour in to the muffin pan.
- Bake for 10-30 mins in a hot oven.