Another birthday to attend to for Monday… luckily I had some of the storecupboard essentials, I just bought a lemon, some butter, some whole poppyseeds, white flour some sugar and a carton of eggs. I’m twisting this Good Housekeeping recipe to fit what I have.
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon(s) poppyseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 large lemon (microwaved for 10 seconds to get more juice out)
- 3/4 cup of butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cup of sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup kefir
- 1 small package of vanilla sugarPREPARATION
- The first thing was to preheat the oven to 160 degree Celcius. Then combine the first five ingredients, (I sifted the flour).
- Zest the whole lemon and set aside.
- Squeeze the lemon to get the juice. I got 4 tablespoons-full out of half a large lemon.
- Then put the butter and the sugar into a bowl and mix for about 5mins.
- Add each egg, one at a time, mixing well in between.
- Then add in the vanilla sugar, the lemon juice the flour mixture and the kefir.
- Put into your loaf tin and bung in the oven for an hour and a half
- I added about 4 tablespoons of icing sugar to my leftover tablespoon of lemon juice to make a drizzle glaze to decorate.
To calculate the cost of the ingredients:
white flour : 45c
TOTAL € 5.57
It seems like a lot of money, but I have *plenty* of flour, poppyseeds, sugar, butter and a few eggs left over. Maybe 3 eggs would have been enough. By the way I only buy free range eggs. I’m not veggie and can’t afford a fully organic shopping basket but this is important to me.
It looks good, I just took it out of the oven after an hour and 15mins to stop it from browning any further. The knife that went in came out clean, so it’s done. It’s cooling for 10mins before it gets its drizzle. Right now I’m just enjoying some mint tea.
I will post a photo and give the verdict on how it tasted tomorrow.
Hope you have a peaceful evening!