I have run out of jam so I went to the supermarket and bought a small pack of unsugared frozen berries as there was no fresh fruit on sale.
- Small pack frozen Berries for the base-flavour – €1.19
- 1 and a half limes (microwaved for a few seconds to get more juice) will add citric acid – free
- handful of leftover grapes, deseeded and halved
- slightly wizened apple, (grated to bulk out the mix and give a bit more pectin) – free
- leftover raspberry flavoured instant jelly (jell-o) powder to give it a bit more ” set”- free
- brown sugar (already had) – free
- knob of butter (already had) to stop the jam mix foaming – free
First I left them to thaw out in the morning and then mixed the sugar : fruit in a 1:2 ratio with 2 level teaspoons of the instant jelly and left to simmer for an hour.
I yielded two and a half small jars, so for 60c a jar – it’s cheaper to make your own jam even if you can’t get the nice fresh fruit cheap enough. I will add a reply about how it set tomorrow morning.
*** Update ***
The set was actually very good! The flavour is fine. As an experiment, it is certainly very edible and cheap to make!